Tuesday 13 December 2011

CHAPTER IV

He's a bootlegger
Rumours about Gatsby, going around the party. Motif: alcohol, of course, since he apparently sells it. And Nick is unreliable because he is only saying what he hears.

Once I wrote down on empty spaces of a time-table the names of those who came to Gatsby's house that summer.
Can't live in the past? Well he's trying, having noted down EVERYONE that went to the party. Nick, again is writing only what he knows and remembers.

Paid him the subtle tribute of knowing nothing whatever about him.

and a whole clan named Blackbuck, who always gathered in a corner and flipped up their noses like goats at whosoever came near.
I do not want what i already have: these people already have their own crowd, why would they want more people to be around them.

I doubt if he had any other home.
Haves and have nots, this man hasn't got a home, so he's using Gatsby's.

CHAPTER V

When I came home to West Egg that night I was afraid for a moment that my house was on fire.
What'll we do this day, tomorrow, and the next thirty years? What would nick do without a house? White/ Yellow fire, and Nick is unreliable: he tells us his house is on fire, but it's not.

Turning a corner, I saw that it was Gatsby's house, lit from tower to cellar.
White/ Yellow lights, and Gatsby is doing random things, Who is he?

He turned his eyes toward it absently.
Gatsby, absently looking around, still unsure of who he is. Haves and have nots, he has so much money, he doesn't ccare about anything.

Let's go to Coney Island, old sport. In my car.
It's too late.
Well suppose we take a plunge in the swimming-pool? I haven't made use of it all summer.
I've got to go to bed.
All right.
Haves and have nots, Gatsby has everything except Daisy, and he wants her so bad he can't wait to talk to Nick.

He waited, looking at me with suppressed eagerness. Again, not having Daisy bothers Gatsby, and Nick might've been wrong about Gatsby's expression.

No comments:

Post a Comment